Summary: Silicon Motion Technology Corporation reported a sequential increase in net sales and net income on a non-GAAP basis for the third quarter of 2023, with President and CEO Wallace Kou expressing satisfaction with the company's performance and outlook for the fourth quarter.
- Sequential increase in net sales to $172.3 million
- Non-GAAP net income for the third quarter rose to $21.1 million
- Strong performance and growing customer base for SSD and eMMC+UFS controllers
Silicon Motion Technology Corporation, a leading provider of Storage controllers, has announced its financial results for the third quarter of 2023. The company reported a sequential increase in net sales to $172.3 million, up from $140.4 million in the previous quarter. However, net income decreased to $10.6 million, or $0.32 per diluted ADS, compared to $11.0 million, or $0.33 per diluted ADS, in the second quarter.
On a non-GAAP basis, net income for the third quarter rose to $21.1 million, or $0.63 per diluted ADS, from $12.6 million, or $0.38 per diluted ADS, in the second quarter. This increase reflects the company’s strong performance and growing customer base for SSD and eMMC+UFS controllers.
Wallace Kou, President and CEO of Silicon Motion, expressed satisfaction with the company’s performance in the third quarter. He noted that inventory levels in the channel have normalized and OEM order patterns have accelerated ahead of the anticipated holiday season demand. The rebound in eMMC+UFS sales and sequential growth in SSD controller sales are also positive indicators for the company’s long-term growth.
During the third quarter, Silicon Motion made capital expenditures of $17.1 million, including investments in testing equipment, software, design tools, and building construction in Hsinchu.
In terms of acquisition updates, Silicon Motion had entered into a merger agreement with MaxLinear, Inc. on May 5, 2022. However, MaxLinear recently terminated the merger agreement without providing any factual basis. Silicon Motion believes this termination constitutes a breach of the agreement and has filed a claim in the Singapore International Arbitration Centre seeking payment of the termination fee of $160 million, along with substantial damages, interest, and costs.
Looking ahead, Silicon Motion expects its business to continue rebounding in the fourth quarter as channel inventory normalizes and OEM demand improves. The company anticipates better-than-seasonal sequential revenue growth, driven by improved order patterns and visibility. With inventory levels back to normal and a strong pipeline of design wins, Silicon Motion is well-positioned for growth in 2024.
About MaxLinear: MaxLinear is a fabless semiconductor company that provides systems-on-chip (SoC) solutions used for broadband, mobile and wireline infrastructure, data center, and industrial and multi-market applicationsMaxLinear Website: http://www.maxlinear.com/
MaxLinear LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/maxlinear/
SSD: A Solid State Drive (SSD) is a modern data storage device that employs flash memory technology to store data electronically. Unlike traditional hard disk drives (HDDs), SSDs have no moving parts, resulting in significantly faster read and write speeds. This leads to quicker boot times, faster application loading, and smoother overall system performance. SSDs are known for their durability, shock resistance, and energy efficiency, making them ideal for laptops, ultrabooks, and other portable devices. They come in various form factors, including 2.5-inch, M.2, and PCIe cards, and are favored for their reliability, quiet operation, and reduced heat generation
- Semtech introduces AirLink XR60: The Compact 5G Router for Extreme Environments
- Intel introduces 14A (1.4 nm) and 3T Foundry Nodes, Pioneering AI-Optimized Systems Foundry
- NVIDIA’s Q4 and Fiscal 2024 Results Reveal Impressive 126% YoY Revenue Growth, Data Centers Thrive
- YEYIAN GAMING introduces Revolutionary SHIFT 3-in-1 RGB Gaming Mouse and FlexCam 2K Streaming Camera
- “Enigmatic Developers Commemorate Remarkable Achievement: 2 Million Players Reached”
- NZXT about to launch the H6 Flow RGB, a HYTE Y60’ish Mid tower case
- HYTE teases the “HYTE Y70 Touch” case with large touch screen
- Intel’s CPU Roadmap: 15th Gen Arrow Lake Arriving Q4 2024, Panther Lake and Nova Lake Follow
- NZXT set to launch a non RGB version of the H6 Flow case
- Tech giants collaborate to establish standardized narrow precision data formats for AI.