- UPMEM has secured €4.1 million in equity funding from the European Innovation Council (EIC) Fund and various venture capitalists.
- UPMEM's PIM solution offers cost-effective and energy-efficient options for AI and analytics applications in data centers and at the edge.
- UPMEM's innovative PIM technology has the potential to revolutionize the efficiency of AI and big data applications.
UPMEM, a semiconductor startup, has secured €4.1 million in equity funding from the European Innovation Council (EIC) Fund and various venture capitalists including Partech, Western Digital Capital, and C4 Ventures. In addition, they have received a €2.5 million grant from the EIC. The company, founded by Fabrice Devaux and Gilles Hamou, is at the forefront of developing ultra-efficient Processing In Memory (PIM) accelerators to address the challenge of compute efficiency in AI and big data applications.
UPMEM’s PIM solution, which includes their first commercial-grade PIM chip, is now available in cloud markets worldwide, including the US and Asia. This solution offers cost-effective and energy-efficient options for AI and analytics applications in data centers and at the edge. It is particularly beneficial for tasks such as large language models (LLM) like GPT, genomics, and large-scale analytics. By implementing PIM technology, energy consumption, cost, and hardware footprint can be reduced by up to 10 times while still improving performance. This has the potential to decrease data center electricity consumption by 20% and can be integrated into advanced devices such as PCs and smartphones.
Gilles Hamou, CEO and co-founder of UPMEM, expressed his enthusiasm for their PIM chips, stating that they are the ideal solution to overcome the energy and cost-intensive nature of handling AI workloads that heavily rely on off-chip data movement, like LLM/GPT.
Svetoslava Georgieva, Chair of the EIC Fund Board, praised UPMEM as an example of how the European Union supports top innovators in scaling their ventures. She highlighted that UPMEM’s disruptive approach to compute architecture demonstrates that European players are reclaiming strategic positions in semiconductor design for high-performance computing.
Overall, UPMEM’s innovative PIM technology has the potential to revolutionize the efficiency of AI and big data applications, offering significant benefits in terms of energy consumption, cost reduction, and performance improvement.
About Western Digital: Western Digital, established in 1970, is a important data storage solutions provider known for its wide range of hard drives and solid-state drives. Catering to various applications, from personal computers to enterprise storage systems, Western Digital emphasizes data management and security. With a reputation for reliability and innovative solutions, the company has been pivotal in shaping the storage industry. Their products are trusted by individuals, businesses, and data centers worldwideWestern Digital Website: https://www.westerndigital.com/
Western Digital LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/western-digital/
- Intel introduces Xeon “Sierra Forest” 288 E-core Processor for Telecom at MWC 2024
- Lenovo reveals AI solutions and products at MWC 2024.
- Lenovo’s Offerings Empower AI for All at MWC 2024
- Qualcomm introduces FastConnect 7900, AI-Optimized Wi-Fi 7 System for Enhanced Connectivity
- Supermicro boosts 5G and Telco Cloud performance with expanded infrastructure solutions.
- NZXT about to launch the H6 Flow RGB, a HYTE Y60’ish Mid tower case
- HYTE teases the “HYTE Y70 Touch” case with large touch screen
- Intel’s CPU Roadmap: 15th Gen Arrow Lake Arriving Q4 2024, Panther Lake and Nova Lake Follow
- NZXT set to launch a non RGB version of the H6 Flow case
- Tech giants collaborate to establish standardized narrow precision data formats for AI.